Wednesday 15 March 2017

What We Ate Wednesday--tangy roasted chickpeas and vegetables

Hello lovelies! OK....confession time. Last night we were *supposed* to have Cajun black eyed peas and kale over brown rice. But then, right around 5pm I discovered that I had already used the last of the kale and had forgotten to defrost the black eyed peas I had cooked earlier. So basically, all I had was brown rice.  Uh-oh.

But never fear. I looked around my well stocked kitchen and saw a tin of chickpeas. I can always do something with a tin of chickpeas. Roasting is the way to go. Chickpeas go all brown and chewy and delicious in the oven. Throw in some veg and rice and you have  meal.

So I adapted a recipe called Tamari Roasted Chickpeas from Dreena Burton's excellent cookbook Eat, Drink and Be Vegan. Her recipe just roasts chickpeas, but I roasted some vegetables I had in with the chickpeas and let me tell you...it was YUM.


Tangy Roasted Chickpeas and Vegetables

Preheat your oven to 200C/400F
In your biggest roasting tin add:
1 tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed. 
1 chopped onion
half a chopped pepper  (I used a yellow one as that is what I had, but red would have been prettier)
a small carrot, cut into half moons (or use a half a carrot)
1.5 TB tamari or soy sauce
1.5 TB lemon juice (freshly squeezed is great, but i used lemon from a squeezy bottle and it was fine)
1 TB olive oil
A squidge of liquid sweetener (maybe a teaspoon?)
a good shake of dried rosemary
lots of grinds of pepper

1. Mix all that together until the marinade covers all the chickpeas and vegetables.
2. Roast for 12 minutes, then take the pan out and stir then roast 13 more minutes.
3. Meanwhile you should have been cooking your brown rice. I forgot to mention it. My rice takes approximately 25 minutes so I started it right before I put the chickpea/veg mixture in to roast.
4. Throw some frozen peas in to your cooked rice to add an extra vegetable and make it look pretty.

That's it. The chickpeas are all chewy and delicious and the flavour is tangy and savoury and yum.
It feeds two hungry people quite easily.

Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. I really think I'd love the taste of this. Sounds like it would just linger on your tongue

    ReplyDelete